Art de Triumph 2020 – Stan Lee Foundation Inaugural Event
Procurement Packet and Artwork Donation Instructions
Thank you for considering a donation of artwork to the Stan Lee Foundation’s Art de Triumph 2020 – Benefit Concert & Art Auction. The Stan Lee Foundation supports compelling literacy and arts programs promoting life skills that inspire the superhero mindset and empower generations to realize their potential, manifest opportunity, and triumph over self-doubt. Your generosity helps the Stan Lee Foundation continue Stan’s legacy of inspiring the next generation of creatives.
Please read the artwork donation instructions on the following pages before beginning your application.
- Selection process for artwork donations…………………………………… pg. 2
- Application and artwork submission instructions………………………….. pg. 3
- Artwork display and packing instructions…………………………………… pg. 4
- Auction benefits for donating artists…………………………………….…… pg. 5
- The fine print (legal agreement) ……………………………………………… pg. 6
Key Dates in 2018 for Donating Artists:
Monday, November 18th, 2019 – artwork submission deadline
Week of Dec. 1st, 2019 – selection notification to all artists
Week of Dec. 8th, 2019 – high resolution photos of artwork due
Monday, Dec. 16th, 2019 – artist ticket reservations deadline (complimentary and purchased)
Mon. – Wed. Jan. 6th – 8th – delivery of artwork to Post 43 in Hollywood, CA
Saturday, Jan. 11th, 2020 – Art de Triumph 2020, Benefit Concert & Art Auction
All artists are invited to submit up to three original works of art for consideration for this exciting event. We are committed to presenting a range of media and styles for a variety of prices from emerging and established artists. Therefore, we seek only original work of the highest quality, structural integrity, frame/display quality and condition, and appropriate market value. For these reasons, SLF reserves the right to jury artwork according to these merits.
The theme of the art is SUPERHEROES, SUPERHERO MINDSET and of course STAN LEE and his influence on young minds to aspire to personal triumph.
Qualifiers for each category:
- $1000 minimum retail value for live auction
- $25 minimum retail value for online auction
SELECTION PROCESS FOR ARTWORK DONATIONS
Donating an item to SLF’s annual art auction does not guarantee it will be part of the live event being held in Hollywood California on Sat. January 11th, 2020. All submitted items will be evaluated by a panel of respected artists, curators, and other entertainment industry professionals. The evaluation team will determine the final selection and placement of each item for inclusion in the online auction or for participation at the live event.
Additionally, each artwork selected for the live auction is eligible to win prizes!
- Juror’s Excellence Award (1) – Selected by a jury at the event, one prize will be awarded for overall artistic excellence.
- Conceptual Visionary Award (1) – One prize, selected by the guests at the event, will be awarded for an artwork that demonstrates conceptual appeal beyond traditional aesthetic valuations.
- Skill Artistry Award (1) – One prize, selected by the guests at the event, will be awarded for the artwork that best demonstrates superior craftsmanship and mastery of materials.
- Storytelling Award (1) – Selected by SLF’s President, Junko Kobayashi, one prize will be awarded for an artwork that demonstrates storytelling appeal beyond aesthetic valuations.
Jury members for the auction will be the guests in attendance at Art de Triumph 2020.
Jury criteria includes but is not limited to:
- Mastery of artistic medium
- Creativity, originality and innovation in both subject and use of materials
- Mass audience appeal
- Use of artwork to convey a message or tell a story
Artists whose work is selected for inclusion in either auction will be notified on or before Dec. 1st, 2019.
This art donation process is intended for artists who wish to donate their own original work. If you would like to discuss donating another artist’s work or pieces from your collection to the Stan Lee Foundation, please reach out to:
LEGACY Founders Circle Member
Art de Triumph, Executive Producer
APPLICATION AND ARTWORK SUBMISSION INSTRUCTIONS
All applications must be completed online using the SLF Artwork Donation Form available on SLF’s website. Artists may submit up to three items for consideration. Artworks must be original (no reproductions), clean, dry and ready to display if selected for live auction (hardware must be included).
- Complete all required artist and/or donor contact information fields
- Complete all required artwork information fields including:
o Artwork title / Item name
o Year made
o Dimension (H” x W” x D”)
– for jewelry include ring size and/or necklace/earring length
o Fair Market Value
– List the price for which your item would sell in a gallery or retail store. You will be contacted with suggested value changes if SLF’s auction jury believes your work is either over or under valued. Our goal is for 100% of works sold at or above market value, although some works may sell under market value, or not at all.
o Artist statement / Item description (600 character limit)
– We want to feature you and your artwork in a meaningful way in SLF’s auction online catalog. This is your opportunity to explain your artistic process and creative inspiration, or describe your educational and artistic training. You may also want to mention any awards you have received, or exhibitions, collections and publications that feature your work.
– All items selected for inclusion in SLF’s auction will be requested to submit a professionally photographed image for the auction’s online catalog and other promotional materials. Please submit by Dec. 8th, 2019 an image as a JPEG file, 300 DPI (dots per inch), sized 5”x7” and include a photographer credit line.
Before submitting your online application, complete all other required donation contribution, recognition, and survey information fields. Once completed correctly, you will receive an email confirming the receipt of your application.
|All artwork must be received and in SLF’s physical possession ready for display no later than:
WEDNESDAY, JANUARY 8, 2020.
Please schedule deliveries to arrive no earlier or later than
Mon. Jan. 6th – Wed. Jan. 8th, 2020
Mail or hand-deliver to:
American Legion Post 43 Attn: Stan Lee Foundation
2035 N Highland Ave, Los Angeles, CA 90068
To arrange alternative application or artwork delivery options, or if you require additional assistance, please contact:
Amanda Manares at firstname.lastname@example.org or 919.627.4568
ARTWORK DISPLAY AND PACKING INSTRUCTIONS
All items must be delivered to SLF properly packed and ready for display. Two dimensional work must be framed and ready to hang. Installation instructions and all necessary hardware must be provided by the donating artist for any item that requires more than two screws to install. These might include brackets, shelves, platter stands, wall mounts, etc.
When packaging your artwork, be mindful that it will be unpacked, transported, and repacked several times by numerous people. Use blue painter’s tape or masking tape to secure padding and close boxes. Do not use clear packing tape.
- Glass – Wrap in bubble wrap or foam and pack tightly in a sturdy box. Close with blue painter’s tape or masking tape.
- Sculpture / 3-D – Pack in a sturdy box that can accommodate the object and close completely without touching the artwork. Items weighing more than 30 pounds require a wooden crate.
- Painting / Prints / Photography / 2-D – All 2D work must be framed or otherwise ready to hang with the proper wire or hanging apparatus for your specific piece. Pad items with bubble wrap or similar covering, including corners.
- Jewelry – deliver neatly boxed. Loose jewelry will not be accepted.
AUCTION BENEFITS FOR DONATING ARTISTS
Along with the satisfaction of knowing that you are an active participant in the success of the Stan Lee Foundation, all donating artists will receive:
- High-profile visibility of your artwork, website, and/or artist biography by:
- Auction jury panel composed of respected artists, curators and other entertainment industry professionals.
- Auction guests and major donors, including top collectors and galleries.
- Many of Stan’s fans from around the world
- Professionally photographed, full-color digital image of your donated artwork that will also be printed in SLF’s online auction catalog and published on SLF’s social channels.
- Opportunity to win one of four amazing prizes awarded at the event including:
- Juror’s Excellence Award (1)
- Conceptual Visionary Award (1)
- Skill Artistry Award (1)
- Storytelling Award (1)
- Complimentary and/or deeply discounted ticket(s) to ART DE TRIUMPH 2020 (see commission and ticketing details below)
- The option to receive a 25% commission on the sale price of your donated artwork (see commission and ticketing details below)
- Eternal gratitude from Stan Lee Foundation’s Board, staff and fan community!
|ARTWORK COMMISSIONS AND TICKETING BENEFITS
Artists donating 100% of the proceeds from the sale of their artwork will receive:
Artists opting to receive a 25% commission on the sale of their work will receive:
Please note that complimentary Artist and purchased companion ticket RSVP’s are due by Monday, Dec. 16th, 2019
Please note that your artwork donation(s) is not a loan or consignment – it is a gift from you to Stan Lee Foundation. SLF reserves the right to limit or remove from display your artwork(s) at any time for any reason. If your donation(s) is juried into the live auction but does not sell, you have the option to indicate your desire to have your unsold work returned, within 60 days of the auction, at your expense. If not claimed within the timeframe, your work becomes the property of the SLF and may be used to support the SLF’s missions, including placement in a future fundraiser, or use in some other way to benefit the foundation. If selected for inclusion in the auction, images of your donated item(s) may be used to promote the event and/or organization.
Bidding for your work will not start below the wholesale value (50% of estimated retail).
Artist’s rebate (25%, if selected) will be disbursed within 45 days of the auction to the address indicated on the artist’s Registration Form. US resident artists must provide a completed W-9 form in order to receive payment.
Your artwork donation(s) will be handled with the utmost respect and care. However, Stan Lee Foundation, its representatives, employees, or other agents are not responsible for any damage, theft or loss to your donated item(s).
ABOUT STAN LEE FOUNDATION
The Stan Lee Foundation was founded in 2009 by Stan Lee, an American comic book writer, editor, publisher, and producer who rose to become Marvel Comics’ primary creative leader for two decades. Stan knew that insecurity is the nemesis of dignity and joy, so The Stan Lee Foundation supports compelling literacy and arts programs to inspire a superhero’s mindset and empower all generations to realize their potential, battle inhibitions, manifest opportunity, and triumph over self-doubt. Everyone has strengths, and the programs supported by the Stan Lee Foundation enable people to experience and hone their own unique superpowers.